To make matters worse, I had no title for the trailer and couldn't even read the serial number plate. I wasn't even sure it was the correct trailer for the boat!
I did know it was a Trail-Rite trailer so a call to the manufacturer cleared up some of the confusion. The serial number is stamped into the top of the right side frame rail near the front of the trailer. A bit of sanding off the old paint located it and with the serial number, Trail-Rite was able to verify it was a 1978 model built for Macgregor/Venture 22's. So, it is the correct trailer and probably the original for this boat.
|Early on, I had removed the winch, cleaned it up, repainted it, replaced the cable and then mistakenly mounted it where I thought it was supposed to be. I've since remounted it in the original position.|
|I had given the trailer a quick coat of paint (what I could reach) while the boat was still on it. After painting the hull, the trailer was pretty much covered in overspray.|
|Up on blocks. All the rough spots got sandblasted and the trailer got a coat of Rustoleum primer followed by Rustoleum gloss black. (These photos were taken just after a rainstorm, so there are a lot of water droplets.)|
|The axel, springs and hubs got painted with POR-15.|
|The fenders are not real straight - one is rusted through. I may replace them at some point. The yellow is there for visibility.|
|New tires and galvanized wheels. It just was not worth the trouble of sandblasting and painting the old wheels. I probably will clean up one wheel for a spare tire but for now, these will do.|
|Homemade light bar - made from some hardware I had and $6.00 worth of clearance lights.|
|New safety chains.|
||Web development by